Saturday, October 13, 2007

Thinking About The Holidays

This is my favorite part of the year! I love the fall holidays! Halloween and Thanksgiving and Christmas! They are just so much fun. Kyle, Tom and I have the added bonus of having birthdays during this time as well which makes it even more crazy!

For Halloween this year my kids are going to dress up as candy corn. My mother-in-law is making their costumes. Megan will be a regular one, and Kyle will be a chocolate one. I can't wait! They are going to be so cute! I enjoy planning coordinating costumes for them. Last year Megan was an Indian and Kyle was a cowboy. Next year we are considering Dorthy and the Cowardly Lion from The Wizard of Oz.

I've already decorated my house for fall with pumpkins and silk mums and cute little scarecrows. I'll leave these things up through Thanksgiving and then shortly after Thanksgiving I'll tear it all down and put up all my snowmen and Christmas decorations. Though I won't be decorating for Christmas until then, I have started other Christmas preparations. I've got quite a bit of my Christmas shopping done, and I've been listening to Christmas music already. Some people say it's too early to listen to Christmas music, but I personally think it's appropriate to sing about the joy of Christ's birth all year long! Christmas is especially exciting now that I have kids of my own to share it with. We have decided to get Megan the Fisher Price Loving Family Doll House as her one and only gift this year. I cannot wait to see her reaction when she opens it. I know she is going to love it. We haven't decided what to get for Kyle. I think we may need to take a stroll around Toys R Us to get some ideas.

And of course who can forget the amazing food that we get to enjoy, and share with friends and family! My personal favorites are Baklava, and pumpkin pie, and the homemade dinner rolls that my mom makes, and of course the turkey! YUM! It makes my mouth water just thinking about it! Of course the challenge is to enjoy the food, without overdoing it and putting on those holiday pounds. Some years I definitely do better than others.

1 comment:

Leah said...

The costumes sound fun! Next year's too! Emily and Jared did the Dorothy/Cowardly Lion bit two years ago and it was a HUGE HIT with everyone we came across. And I'll bet Megan LOVES that doll house for Christmas. That's the one Emily decided she HAD TO HAVE after we'd already done our shopping for her and my MIL got her a little Barbie one instead. LOL

can't wait to see what holiday recipes you post up over the next few months!