Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My Monday Evening

Last night I took the kids down to our little playground down the street only to get there and find blood all over the place, so instead of staying and playing we came back to the house and I raked a big pile of leaves for the kids to play in. The kids had a blast. They ran through them and laid in them and tossed them up in the air and wrestled in them. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures because it was dark outside. But I'm sure we'll have a chance to do it again and get pictures then.

Tom spent the night replacing the power steering fluid pump on my van. I'm glad I won't have to add more power steering fluid every time I drive it. And I think that was the last thing that needed fixing. The van is running great! It was definitely worth the hundred dollars it cost to buy it. Of course we've had to dish out quite a bit in fixing it, but still much less than the current Kelly Blue Book value. It's time like this that I'm again thankful that Tom is such a handy man!

Once the kids were done playing and Tom was done fixing, it was time to put the kids to bed, and then I headed out to the grocery store. My cupboards and fridge were so empty! I had pretty much run out of all the essentials (butter, milk, eggs), and most of the non-essentials too. Walmart wasn't very busy last night at all. I'll have to remember that Monday night at Walmart is a good time to shop. Our Walmart can be such a madhouse on certain days, and on those days I won't even attempt to go because I know it's more of a headache than it's worth.

Despite going to bed late because of my late night shopping trip, I slept pretty well. At least until this morning when the kids started crying at 5 a.m. I think Tom getting ready for work must have disturbed them for some reason. So they both climbed into bed with me. I was sandwiched in the middle of them and couldn't move so unfortunately I wasn't able to get back to sleep. I waited until I heard their steady breathing and then I carefully climbed out from in between them and now I'm in here blogging. Though I would have much preferred to get another hour or so of sleep. But oh well, it's all part of being mom, and it is pretty nice to have a little quiet time while they are still snoozing.

Today is Tuesday, and of course that means it's time for In Other Words. This week's quote is:\

"Gentleness is part of being feminine - part of being a woman, and God
made us distinctly different from men on purpose!"~ Melanie Chitwood

God doesn't just ask women to be gentle. Gentleness and love are fruits of the spirit that he wants to develop in all His children, but the quality is emphasized for women. Why? I believe that God designed for us a role of care giving. Whether a women chooses to work or not, she is a caregiver of those she loves. Our mood sets the tone for our household, whether it be peace and gentleness, or moodiness and unrest. Unfortunately I have been a failure at this more times than I would like to count. But it is encouraging for me to remember that I do not just have to depend upon myself to come up with this quality, for it is a fruit of the Spirit. God has an endless supply of gentleness that he desire to share with me if I just depend on him and not try to constantly take every situation into my own hands.

1 Peter 3:1-4 Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.

Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

To read more Tuesday's IOW, visit Sting My Heart.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't beat yourself up for your mistakes. God doesn't. He loves you too much.

Miriam Pauline said...

Bless you for sharing!

Denise said...

I enjoyed this post.

Unknown said...

Gentleness is a tough one for me. I've always been more like a bull in a china shop, both emotionally and physically! But I guess God has been working on me because my hubby tells me how easy I am to get along with.

I enjoyed your reflections. Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

Thank goodness He has an endless supply of gentleness for us!

Anonymous said...

I sure can relate here too! Thanks for sharing. Gentleness is something I need more of! :)

Amico Dio said...

"God has an endless supply of gentleness that he desire to share with me if I just depend on him and not try to constantly take every situation into my own hands."

Boy if I could get that from my heart to my head I would be doing great! Thank you so much for sharing!

Leah said...

Glad you finally got your shopping taking care of! It's so hard to find time someimes...

Too bad about the playground! I wonder what all the blood was all about??? That's kind of scary!

eph2810 said...

I so agree with you...I am glad that I don't have to rely always on my own supply of gentleness.
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this week's IOW quote.
Blessings to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Endless supply of gentleness indeed!