Friday, September 21, 2007

Giving Thanks and a few other thoughts

Well, first of all I want to post my Thankful Thursday. I hope no one minds me participating a day late. OOPS! I'll try to remember on the actual day from now on!



I'm an thankful that I have a husband who loves me and is patient with me. Even when it's that time of the month and I'm feeling miserable and rotten and not the easiest person to live with. I don't like to use my 'hormones' as an excuse to behave badly because I do believe that I choose how to respond to people, but it sure does make it harder to choose to respond in a loving way. It's one more area of my life where I desperately need God's help.

The other things that are taking up my thoughts today have to do with a verse that has come up in my Bible study.

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

Why is the fear of the Lord the beginning of knowledge and what exactly does it mean to fear the Lord? I believe that fearing the Lord includes reverence and realization that God is holy and that he holds the 'key' to either an eternity with him in heaven or an eternity in hell (Matthew 10:28). It is this fear of the Lord that helps us understand our need for a Savior. Once we have realized out need for the Savior, Jesus Christ, and accepted his death and ressurection as the payment for our sins and our only way to heaven, then we continue to show 'fear of the Lord' by recognizing His authority in our lives and deferring to His knowledge and wisdom for 'life and godliness' given to use in the Bible. It is truely foolish not to fear God because 1. As I mentioned earlier, he holds the key to heaven or hell, and 2. He is the creator and ruler of the universe and he holds ALL THE ANSWERS to life! King Solomon, the writer of Ecclesiates concludes it so well: Here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil (Ecclesiates 12:13-14)

Today has been a fairly uneventful day. I've worked on a little laundry, done dishes and vacuumed. I've done my Bible study, played with the kids, and read some of "Broken Things"(which is turning out to be a very enjoyable book). Now I'm just blogging and waiting for them to wake up from their nap. Tonight we are going to my mother-in-law's house for dinner which is always a blessing because that means I don't have to figure out what to fix, and I don't have to worry about doing dishes and clean-up. Not that I won't help her, but she has a dishwasher which makes it so easy! One day I would love to have an electronic dishwasher, but right now I'll just have to settle with doing it myself.

Well, I guess that's all for now! Tootaloo!

No comments: