Thursday, September 13, 2007

Fall Flowers. . . and Baking!

My goal for this afternoon was to get out into the front yard and clean up my flower bed, trimming back spent summer flowers and planting a couple of Hardy Mums I purchased at Home Depot this morning. I was able to finish that in about an hour. I would still like to add some pumpkins and maybe a cute scarecrow or some other fall garden decoration. When I get it finished I will be sure to take a picture to share, but for now it still needs a bit more work.

Since the kids usually nap for a couple hours, I still had an hour left to be productive. Not that I can't be productive when the kids are awake, but it's so much easier to get things done while they are sleeping. I decided to bake a batch of cookies instead of doing more cleaning. I've got that PMS appetite that nothing seems to satisfy and it puts me in the mood to bake something sweet and yummy. Obviously I have no will-power and gave in without even trying to fight it. I chose a recipe for Scandinavian Cookies that I got from my husband's grandma. I chose this particular recipe because these cookies have a jelly filling, and I thought they would be especially tasty with the homemade raspberry jelly I made this past weekend.


Didn't they turn out pretty?!

Scandinavian Cookies

Cream:

1 cup Crisco

1/2 cup Brown Sugar

2 egg yolks (set aside whites)

1 tsp vanilla

Add:

1 tsp baking powder

2 cups flour

Form into 1 inch balls. Roll in egg whites, then in ground nuts. place on ungreased cookie sheet and make a dent in the center of each with your thumb. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Fill indentation with raspberry jelly, or your choice


1 comment:

Leah said...

Have fun in the garden Melissa! Wanna come work on mine when you're done? LOL I can think of a million things I'd rather do than go out and WEED. BLECK. LOL The cookies look great. I'm sure my husband would love them (you're sending him some, right? LOL)