Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Calling Mom & Spicy Apple Jam

We live right down the street from my mother-in-law and see her usually at least twice a week, but sometimes more which is great. I am lucky to be blessed with a wonderful mother-in-law (and you know I'm being genuine when I write that because she's not going to read this and I still wrote it)! We live just under 2 hours away from my parents and we see them once every couple of months if we are lucky. Not that 2 hours is that far, because I know it's not, but it is far enough that we have to make a trip out of it which requires planning and coordinating schedules which isn't always easy to do. But thank goodness for telephones! I talk to my mom at least once a week. Have I mentioned how much I love my mom? She's really great! She's such an encourager, and full of wisdom. For each stage of my kids lives (and each stage of parenting) she shares advice and stories from her many experiences raising me and my 4 siblings, and she never does it in a judgemental way. I also feel blessed that I can talk to her about my relationship with Christ, and know that we are on the same page. I just talked to her this morning and I feel encouraged!

My mom is also a great cook. Though she would never tell anyone that because she really doesn't enjoy cooking. But she did a great job feeding us while we were growing up, AND she did a good job teaching me the foundations of cooking so I can now successfully cook for my own family (which my husband especially appreciates). One of the things she taught me how to make was jelly/jam. One of the reasons I called my mom today was to get her recipe for Spicy Apple Jam. It's the absolute BEST jam EVER!!!! YUM! So while the kids napped I tackled that project and was able to finish it! I'm just waiting for the jam to set so I can make some toast and give it a try! Ooooh! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!






Spicy Apple Jam

3 lbs apples
7 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp Cinnamon

1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 bottle of 6oz fruit pectin

Peel and core apples. Put 1/4 of apples and 1/2 cup of water into food processor and process until finely chopped. Do this 3 more times with remainder of apples and same amount of water. You should end up with 5 cups of apple/water mixture.

Mix apple mixture with lemon juice and spices and heat on high, stirring constantly until it comes to a rolling boil.

Add sugar and return to rolling boil. Let boil for 1 minute
stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and stir in fruit pectin.

Ladle mixture into sterilized jars. Makes approximately 10 cups of jam. Boil jars in water bath caner for 15 minutes.



Oh and I just have to share the good news! I completed my canning, and finished blogging and my kids are STILL ASLEEP! Woohoo!

Oh, and the other good news. . . Tonight is Bible study night! Woohoo! I love Bible study night!

2 comments:

Leah said...

wowzers, you're on a roll Melissa! I hope your jam on toast was as fab as you hoped... And YAY on the nice long naps your kids took (or you were really speedy fast or something...)

Anonymous said...

Wow that's awesome, Melissa. It sounds absolutely delish!