Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Teaching My Children....HELP!

God has not blessed me with the gift of teaching... especially when it comes to teaching children.  I think it is so important to share my faith with my children, to teach them about God's love, and teach them their need for Salvation.  However I am really struggling with it.  I have such a hard time articulating these things in a way that they can understand.  Just the other day I was talking about Jesus, salvation, and heaven with Kyle and after our conversation he decided he didn't want to get saved because he didn't want to have to die and go to heaven and have to leave his mommy.     If it weren't such a serious important thing I would chuckle at his response, but instead it makes me very anxious that he's not understanding it. 

Every other mother I know seems to have these things completely under control, or at least that is the impression I get when I talk to them or read their blog.  Am I the only one who struggles with this?    Do any of you moms who do have this figured out have any helpful advice?  Do you have any good books to recommend,or online sites that are particularly helpful to you that would assist me as I try to 'translate' these important things to my children?

2 comments:

Hazel said...

I think one of our kids said something like that after a talk about heaven and salvation. It is just beyond their understanding when they are little. They don't understand death and can't fathom ever leaving the family they love. But you are correct it believing that it is your responsibility. The teaching they get at church supports what you teach at home with your life and your words. It is your lifestyle and example that they will follow or rebel against if they see hypocrisy. Just keep talking about God and heavenly things and keep growing in knowledge so you have something to impart to them. The Lord will give you opportunities and wisdom as you continue to seek him.

Tiffany said...

Oh, Melissa. Just be real. Let them see your relationship with your daddy in heaven. Talk about Him when you get up in the morning and throughout the day and when you go to bed at night. Your words do not have to be "right". Just let the Holy Spirit work through you. I think what Kyle said is not a reflection of you doing anything wrong at all. I think that is a normal response for a child his age, and he is just not ready yet. And that is okay. I absolutely LOVE The Jesus Bible Story Book. Have you heard of it? You can buy it at even Walmart I think. This has been a wonderful tool to initiate conversation in our home with Cadi. I actually am using an excerpt from that book in my good Friday post this week.
I will be praying about this for you, but really just take a deep breath - let it come naturally. I actually mentioned another book on my blog this week that might be helpful it is called Teaching to Change Lives by Dr. Howard Hendricks. It has been years since I have read it, but his thoughts on the importance of teachable moments really stuck with me. Jesus used them all of the time - His parables.
I am not claiming to have it all together, and my children have not yet come to know their daddy in heaven, but I think it helps if we are purposeful with our days and moments and are in consistent prayer over the salvation of our children. Will you pray for me too?