Friday, March 19, 2010

Not Glamorous, but Abundant!

I am so thankful for my laptop right now!!! My sweet brother, Chris, bought us a mini laptop, and a regular laptop while I was layed up in the hospital last Spring. He bought them along with a subscription to skype so that I could communicate with my family while I was recovering. It was a blessing then, and it continues to be a blessing now! At the moment I am sitting in my backyard, being warmed by the bright spring sun, doing two things that I love: watching my children play, and blogging.

Today has been a very low-key day. I didn't plan for it to be that way. I woke up at 6 a.m. I had some quiet time, took my shower and then woke the kids up shortly after 7 a.m. I had them fed, ready for school and waiting for the bus by 8:15 a.m. I was planning to get the kids off to school and then get right to work on the list of things I wanted to accomplish for the day. A few minutes after going outside I looked around our street and thought, "wow, things sure are quiet around here today." Not too long after that I thought to myself, "the bus is quite late this morning." Then I got the strange feeling that I'd forgotten something. So we went back in and checked the calendar (which isn't helping me much at the moment since it isn't hanging on the wall) and sure enough, i had written on today's date: "NO SCHOOL". My productive plans for the day went out the window, and instead I decided to take the day off too.

Since we were up and ready I figured we might as well do something instead of just bumming around the house, so I loaded us up into the car with the kids' bikes and helmets and Caleb's stroller and we drove to the Rail Trail. We got there early, before the rush of all the other moms trying to keep their kids occupied on this beautiful day. I walked and they rode their bikes for a while, then we took a break at the playground that is just off the trail. It was a little cool this morning at 9 a.m. and the playground was still wet from the dew, but we had the whole huge playground COMPLETELY to ourselves! I followed Caleb up and down the stairs over and over and over.... while Megan and Kyle did their thing. It was blessedly peaceful and worry free since we were alone and absolutely wonderful!

While chasing Caleb around the playground I called my mother-in-law at work and made plans for us to meet her for lunch. She was excited to show off her grandkids for the first time at her 'new' job (she's been there about a year now), and we went to Subway to eat. Nothing extravagant, but it was special because I was with special people! I do love my family!

When we got home Caleb took a long nap; Megan, Kyle and I watched a movie; and now we are out here playing. I have done absolutely no house cleaning today (other than picking up here and there) which is so unlike me. But I can tell you that the day couldn't have gone better, even if I had checked off everything on my to do list. Sometimes it's good for me to take a day to just enjoy the people I love! It's so easy for me to get caught up in all the things I need and/or want to do and forget the people who are more important.

My life isn't glamorous, and most of the time my days are filled with the mundane tasks of daily living, but nevertheless, my life is abundant!  I am a blessed woman!  Thank you, God!



Ephesians 3:19-21  And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

John 10:9-11 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.  I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

5 comments:

Hazel said...

Everyone needs a day off now and then. I'm glad you had such a sweet day with your little ones.

Kari said...

That sounds like a really nice day! I had to LOL about your forgetting they were out of school--that is totally something I would've done back when mine were in school! :) Thanks for the comment you left on my blog--I definitely believe that sharing a room creates a special bond between siblings! We had to move our two older boys together when the baby came last fall. They complain, but I think they're closer because of it.

Karen said...

So glad you had this special day...spounds wonderful!

Camp Isaac Mama said...

Sounds like a truly perfect day :o)

Glad you enjoyed it so much!!

It's important to soak in those little moments!!

happily retired gal said...

Ah ... flexibility is often the key to happiness when the unexpected happens isn't it. I've enjoyed learning about you and your family as I spent a few minutes catching up on your more recent posts in my 'reader' ... thanks for making the entire 'feed' available. Technology sure makes communicating with loved ones simpler these days. Glad Spring has arrived in your part of the world ;-)
Hugs and blessings,