Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cereal for Dinner Moments

Sometimes I think I can be rather unapproachable as a woman and mom, and other mom's see  me (or maybe read my blog) and are intimidated and think "wow, she's always got it all together." (I know I've thought this about other women)  Well, let me be honest here.  I am good at putting on the super-mom face out in public, and on my blog I tend to write positive and godly things (which isn't a bad thing).  I don't tend to share a lot of my personal struggles with others because that makes me vulnerable, which is a very insecure thing for me.  But believe me, I have plenty of "cereal for dinner moments."  Those moments when things are just a bit out of my control and all I can manage to get on the table for dinner are boxes of cereal and a gallon of milk.  I'll admit, there are times when Tom and I have been arguing in the car on the way to church, but as soon as we get there we have smiles on our faces and when asked how we are, our response with a smile is "We're doing great". . .  yes, just peachy.

The Bible says to pray for one another, and bear each others burdens.   Which, I believe, also includes my own honesty and transparency before others so they can do the same for me.

James 5:13-16  Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

Galatians 6:1-3  Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each others' burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself.

I pray that God will help me be humble and transparent before others so I can have those kind of edifying relationships with other believers that allow me to share from my heart who I really am; including my struggles, fears, joys and triumphs, and allows others to feel comfortable to do the same.  This Casting Crowns song reflects my own feelings on this subject so well.


Stained Glass Masquerade
Artist: Casting Crowns

Is there anyone that fails
Is there anyone that falls
Am I the only one in church today feelin’ so small

Cause when I take a look around
Everybody seems so strong
I know they’ll soon discover
That I don’t belong

So I tuck it all away, like everything’s okay
If I make them all believe it, maybe I’ll believe it too
So with a painted grin, I play the part again
So everyone will see me the way that I see them

*Chorus*
Are we happy plastic people
Under shiny plastic steeples
With walls around our weakness
And smiles to hide our pain
But if the invitation’s open
To every heart that has been broken
Maybe then we close the curtain
On our stained glass masquerade

Is there anyone who’s been there
Are there any hands to raise
Am I the only one who’s traded
In the altar for a stage

The performance is CONVINCING
And we know every line by heart
Only when no one is watching
Can we really fall apart

But would it set me free
If I dared to let you see
The truth behind the person
That you imagine me to be

Would your arms be open
Or would you walk away
Would the love of Jesus
Be enough to make you stay

Chorus x2

Well if the invitation’s open
To every heart that has been broken
Maybe then we close the curtain
On our stained glass masquerade

Is there anyone that fails
Is there anyone that falls
Am I the only one in church today feelin’ so small


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that we are all like that..... "cereal for dinner moments". I like that.

Callie

Karen said...

Oh, yes...been there, done that before....