Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Letter To My Donor Family

I am sitting on my living room couch, my house is quiet, my children and husband are in bed for the night, and with a grateful heart, I think of you, the family of my angel who gave me a second chance at life. On May 27th  while still in the hospital recovering from my transplant I was able to celebrate 7 years of marriage with my husband; on June 2nd  I was here at home to celebrate my daughter’s 5th birthday; on July 14th I was here to celebrate my baby’s 1st birthday and cheer him on as he took his first steps just a few weeks later; on September 9th  I was here to hug my daughter and see her off to her first day of Kindergarten; on October 26th  I was here to celebrate my son’s 4th birthday; on November 20th I was here to celebrate my husband’s 31st birthday; and in just a few days I look forward to celebrating my 29th birthday.  Each of these occasions  are a gift from my angel donor who gave me a new liver, and words cannot express the humble gratitude that I feel at being the recipient of such a gift.

My liver failed due to a genetic disease called Wilson’s Disease.  The last few years I had sunk deeper and deeper into a sea of exhaustion, but now with my angel’s liver I feel good, I have more energy than I’ve had in years.  I’m able to truly enjoy my family and cherish the precious moments of life with them instead of trudging through each day just trying to make it from one chore to the next.  The Holidays are especially joyful for my entire family  this year as we soak in the moments spent with those we love.  We have been given the opportunity to glimpse what could have been lost and we realize that each day with our family and friends is a gift beyond value. 

Being the recipient of such a donation has been personally life-changing as well.  I do not think a person can receive something of such great value, and at such great cost to the giver without being changed; without having the insatiable desire to give back somehow. . . someway. . .

Again I thank you for this gift and I pray that you will be blessed this year as much as I have been blessed by you.

Forever grateful,

2 comments:

Karen said...

Love your grateful heart....

Tiffany said...

Melissa, this was so beautifully written and heartfelt. I do not think that you could have written it better.