Thursday, April 1, 2010

Kicking Off Spring Break With Pumpkin Waffles

Today is the first day of Spring Break!  I am looking forward to some extra time with my kiddos.  I have all kinds of fun plans, including an Easter egg hunt with the neighbors, baking activities, trips to the park, and spending few days at my parents house with my family.


Today we slept in until 8 o'clock.  Well, the kids did while I soaked up the extra hour of quiet.  When they awoke I tried my hand on a new breakfast recipe to kick-off their little vacation.  I found a recipe for pumpkin waffles on my favorite internet recipe site, recipezaar.com.  I made a few changes to it because I didn't want the spices to be overpowering, and it was a HUGE success!  Absolutely Delicious.  I'm still licking my lips from it!  Mmmm!


I did decide, however,  that I need a new waffle iron... Either that or I am going to have to make the batter into pancakes instead because my waffle iron is losing its nonstick quality.  Getting the waffles out of the iron was quite a pain in the butt!


I was a little worried about how the kids would like them because they can be very picky when it comes to waffles and pancakes... For example, neither Megan or Kyle will eat them if they have blueberries or chocolate chips in them.  {they're crazy}  However, these were a big hit for everyone.



Pumpkin Waffles

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I used half white, and half whole wheat
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 2/3 cups milk
4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled

Directions
  1. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt in large bowl.
  2. In a second bowl, add vanilla, eggs, sugar, pumpkin, milk, and butter; beat well.
  3. Gently fold in the flour mixture.
  4. Cook according to your waffle iron directions.
  5. They come out a deep golden brown.

Now that we are finished with our sticky breakfast bliss--->on to bath time!



Linked to:


Good, True & Beautiful

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This is making me hungry. We had cherrios. An appropriate post for someone who doesn't love veggies.

Stef said...

I'm with blueberries or chocolate for pancakes - pecans for waffles!

KalynBrooke said...

I am looking for a waffle iron that makes small pancakes (not as thick as Belgian). Let me know if you find any good deals!

Jamie said...

My tummy's growling now! I love pumpkin anything, but especially pumpkin pancakes. I haven't tried the waffles, but maybe next time...

Happy Spring Break and Happy Easter to you!

Jen said...

I have never tried pumpkin waffles mix. Mmmm, I know what I will make for breakfast this weekend!

Have fun with the Easter Egg hunt!

Janna said...

Now THAT is a great idea! Lucky family!

Karen said...

Now those sound yummy!

Cute pictures...enjoy your spring break!

happily retired gal said...

YUMMY ;-)
Thanks for sharing the recipe and the delightful photos.
Hugs and blessings,

Tiffany said...

Mmm - we LOVE waffles here! (George and Rosa gave us an iron for Christmas a few years back, and we use it a lot!!) We make pumpkin waffles, too - only we do put chocolate chips in them! We also make belgian, gingerbread, and whole grain. I am always searching for new and different waffle recipes to add to our repertoire. You are such a fun mom, Melissa!